Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:11:13AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2008.11.25.2017 +0100]:
> > I would very much appreciate, if Debian would not publish job
> > offers that discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnic origin,
> > disability, age, gender, sexual orientation or religion. Not
> > only it is illegal in some countries, I find it highly
> > inappropriate for our project. Thanks for your attention.
>
> Wolfgang, please stop this. Putting a maximum age into a job
> description is standard practice because a company does not want to
> invest time and money into a new employee for various reasons, be
> they simple age and thus time left to work for the company,
> absorptive capacity, or company culture.

Sorry, but I'm with Wolfgang on this one. I'm pretty sure that this
"standard practice" is illegal in most of EU countries (judging by
existence of EU directive 2000/78/EC) and in the US, and I would
expect similar laws to exist in any country to be considered
civilized. It's pretty unfortunate that Switzerland does not have any
law in place preventing age discrimination [0], and I believe that in
the spirit of Debian we should not provide a forum for posting
discriminatory job offers. I suggest to have the blurb at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-jobs/ modified to reflect this.

[0] http://www.agediscrimination.info/international/Pages/Switzerland.aspx

Best regards,
--