Re: Member distributions and popularity

----- "Andreas Tille" <tillea@rki.de> wrote:

> I do not think that Ean is talking about Debian Pure Blends because the
> most important feature of a Blend is that it is actually NO derivative.
> (That's why we call them now not CDD any more because this very frequently
> remained unclear for people who just recognised the name.) But what I would
> like to see in connection to Ean's mail is that we try to propagate the
> idea about the advantages a derivative could gain if it would merge back
> into Debian and *become* a Blend (for instance there was a time when
> DeMuDi (Debian Multimedia Distribution) intended to do this but this plan
> was dropped as far as I know).  The profit for both sides would be evident
> in my opinion: Debian will become better multimedia support (to stick to
> the DeMuDi example) and 64studio (offspring of the DeMuDi project) would
> join a team of 1000+x developers to work on the same goal.
>
> Regarding Ean's original mail: IMHO there is no need to call this an
> "effort" or whatever.  It might have been sufficient if Ean would have
> actually prepared the needed wml code that generates the web page he
> has in mind and fix the menu on www.debian.org to make it easily
> accessible.  There is not much need to talk about this - it would be
> better to announce that it is just implemented.

"Debian Pure Blends" are definitely part of the picture. It would be really great if we promoted Debian Pure Blends on the "Getting Debian" page. I'm not sure if we want to say that *only* Debian Pure Blends would be promoted by us. For instance, if Google were to distribute a signed G1 firmware with a real Debian distribution... how would that be handled?

Debian Pure Blends is very far along the way to what I'm talking about. I've known about CDDs and I've used the live-helper tools (which are very cool) but I've never had an occasion to read the Debian Pure Blend docs. We should be more actively promoting these kinds of things off of the main landing pages.

To your point about not wasting lots of keystrokes... I will comp up a version of the "Getting Debian" page that has my changes and send that to the list for commentary. I guess the thing I'm looking for (and the reason that I'm not just going to go change pages) is that the policy for collaborating with distributions is something that the project should be behind and not something I just made up.

(sorry if this mail is hard to read in mutt... I'm using Zimbra and I'm trying to figure out how to fix its formatting)

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO Brainfood.com
ean@brainfood.com - http://www.brainfood.com - 214-720-0700 x 315