Re: Debian and non-free

Michael Banck wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 08:24:52AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> >
> > Non-free is for GNU documentation.
>
> I think we should consider (post-lenny) splitting up non-free in a
> couple of sub-categories.  Personally, I'd prefer "fsf-free", but
> "non-free-docs" would be just as good, besides "non-free-firmware" and
> "non-free" for the rest.

I like this idea, but without mentioning FSF directly. More entities than
just the FSF use the GNU FDL for licensing.

  non-free-docs
  non-free-firmware
  non-free

It would be nice if non-free was a simple umbrella for non-free-*.
Possibly non-free/documentation and non-free/firmware?

While the decision of what is firmware, documentation, or other should
be policy-guided, it would be left to the developer to decide which
category best applied.

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((