Direct commits to packages' VCS (Was: DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads)

On 12/08/08 at 08:20 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 02:14:06AM -0300, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >After that, we can have a discussion about:
> >- Should people be encouraged to commit the changes they make in an NMU
> >  to the package's Vcs?
> >- Should people be encouraged to commit any change (not necessarily
> >  resulting in an upload) to the package's Vcs?
>
> How about just sneak in a recommendation to check debian/README.Source
> for any hints about specific packaging routines to be aware of?
>
> Then each team can choose to mention there if NMU and/or any non-team
> commits to their VCS is encouraged/discouraged, without the need for
> concensus about it.

I agree that it's a good idea to document this on a per-package basis,
somehow.

However, I don't think that it's the main purpose of
debian/README.source (which is to document how to get the source of the
package ready for editing).  Whether to encourage direct commits is
orthogonal to this, so maybe it should be documented elsewhere, to make
it easier for big teams to deploy this "policy" in all their packages.
(think of the perl team!)

I think that the wider problem is: it's difficult to give
meta-information about packages efficiently. Even if the perl team
wanted to switch to the policy of encouraging direct commits, it would
still take months/years until every package is marked as such. An
external repository for meta-informations (similar to the overrides for
section/priority) might be a better solution, so you could just say in
it "if the maintainer is the perl team, then add the "direct commit
encouraged" tag".

Anyway, my position about this wrt DEP1 is that there's no real
consensus about how to do that currently, and I really would like it to
be done correctly, so we get full benefit from it. So I would prefer to
seperate this discussion from DEP1 (hence the Subject change), commit
DEP1's patch, and then work on another patch for this.