Re: DEP1: Non Maintainer Uploads (final call for review)

Le Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:28:53PM -0300, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

> After a long delay, here is a final call for reviews and comments for
> DEP1.

Hi Lucas,

First of all, since we already dedicated a lot of time to find
compromise on the text, let me make clear that I do not object to it,
that I do not want to delay or block anything, and that you can ignore
my comments if you want.

After reading it again, have the two following comments:

 - The whole section would start with a paragraph mentionning that a NMU
   is the consequence of the failure of the maintainer(s). I find this
   unfortunate, and my opintion is still that NMU should be for helping
   maintainers or fixing urgent issues. If the maintainers are really in
   situation of failure, then NMU is in my opinion not a viable
   long-term solution and should be discouraged. Replacing "fails" by
   "needs help" would enhance the text a lot. For instance, it fits much
   better, the many "feel free to NMU" sentences we can read on the
   vacation emails on debian-private.

 - Some teams maintain their packages in repositories that are writable
   for all Debian developpers, and document relevant URIs in
   debian/control. I can not speak for others, but when a NMU is done on
   my packages, I welcome a commit or a patch to keep the repository
   consistant with the Debian archive. Do you think that it would be
   possible to add such a recommendation in the DEP ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan