Re: Deprecating (and deactivation) of an archive feature?!

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> In the end, the contrib category is free software

The works in 'contrib' are free software. That's not enough for them
to be in 'main', because 'main' is defined as more than just an
arbitrary collection of free software. 'main' is the Debian operating
system, which must, when installed, be useable as a whole without
requiring non-free software on the system.

Hence, anything which can't satisfy 'main' (because, for example, it's
not useable without some non-free software) doesn't belong in 'main'.
Hence, the existence of 'contrib', to take works that are themselves
free software, but can't be part of the Debian operating system.

--
 \                “Today, I was -- no, that wasn't me.” —Steven Wright |
Ben Finney