Re: Deprecating (and deactivation) of an archive feature?!

Le Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:07:01PM -0300, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :

> A user can be rightfully puzzled by such a situation: is the _source_
> package she is downloading part of Debian or not?

Hi Stefano, Jörg, and everybody.

In the end, the contrib category is free software, so why not simply
downgrade it as a priority level, lower than "extra"? This would solve
the problem for our puzzled users as well as for the developpers
packaging software that is partially dependant on things not available
in the main archive, and the consistency of the Debian operating system
would be:
 - guaranteed for packages of priority optional or higher,
 - possibly conflicutal for extra packages,
 - defective by missing dependancies for contrib packages.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,