Re: Deprecating (and deactivation) of an archive feature?!

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> In the end, the contrib category is free software, so why not simply
> downgrade it as a priority level, lower than "extra"?

I'm assuming that you mean doing this instead of keeping it as a separate
distribution area.

> This would solve the problem for our puzzled users as well as for the
> developpers packaging software that is partially dependant on things not
> available in the main archive, and the consistency of the Debian
> operating system would be:
>  - guaranteed for packages of priority optional or higher,
>  - possibly conflicutal for extra packages,
>  - defective by missing dependancies for contrib packages.

I think it would be very surprising to have installation of a package from
the main distribution area result in downloading non-free software from
elsewhere, which is a common case for contrib packages.