The "giving some time to the maintainer" rule

On 30/05/08 at 18:24 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:49:14AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Now, what we don't agree on:
> >  - I think that giving some time should only be very strongly
> >    recommended, but not mandatory.
> >  - You think that giving some time should be mandatory.
>
> > I think that our opinions are basically the same. The difference is that
> > you want to write something in stone, while I prefer not to impose rules
> > where it's not necessary, because:
>
> This is begging the question.  Experience tells me that the sort of rules
> under discussion *are* necessary.

You are still talking about the rule "The maintainer *MUST* give some
time to react before uploading the NMU", right?

> > - If you make it mandatory, then you have to provide a workaround for
> >   cases where it's just not possible to wait. And you also have to list
> >   those cases.
>
> And, so?  That's what we have today.  What's the problem with this that
> you're trying to fix?

No, that's not what we have today. What we have today is the release
team deciding that it has authority to change the NMU rules, to allow
0-day NMUs for bugs older than 7 days old.
- Does the RT really have authority ?
- 0-day means "no need to give some time to the maintainer".

You uploaded a lot of such NMUs yourself, sometimes on packages with an
active maintainer, without even providing a patch on the BTS previously.

You realize that this discussion about the "NMUers must give some time
to the maintainer"-rule also affects the current 0-day NMU policy?

One of the goals of the DEP is to make the 0-day NMU policy useless, by
generalizing it to all bugs (with "delay" > 0 and "delay" a function of
the severity of bugs being fixed).

Now, there are two patches to the DEP that try to address the current
wording. See <20080530105721.GA10674@xanadu.blop.info> and
<20080530124636.GC9666@kunpuu.plessy.org>. I would really appreciate
comments on those patches. That would be a lot more useful than general
discussions about rules.