Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 05:47:45PM -0700, Richard Hecker wrote:
> I see the same weakness that Henrique listed above. Some people will
> prepare a NMU without even sending an email to the maintainer.

Posting the patch in the BTS does actually send mail to the maintainer.
And it's nicely "in time", because with the DELAYED queue, the upload to
ftp-master doesn't happen before some days.

DELAYED is just a way to automate the "wait a while, then upload to
ftp-master" part.  This DEP makes this explicit.  A bug in the BTS is a
good way to contact a maintainter IMO.  Using the DELAYED queue has an
added benefit that it is completely clear that an NMU will be done, and
when.

> I still want to stress that we should strive to improve communication
> when we can.

Yes, communication is good.  We have several media for it, the two most
important ones being mailing lists and the BTS (IMO).  This DEP proposes
to use the BTS for communication about NMUs.  It was that way already
AFAIK, although some people seem to think private mail was needed as
well.  To avoid any confusion, we should make it explicit in any case.
If many people think private mail is needed before uploading to DELAYED,
please speak up and we'll require that.  To me, that would pretty much
disable all usability of DELAYED, but that may be just me...

> You did not find consensus to adopt your view back then, and I hope
> you will not use DEP1 to establish your preference now.

If we wanted to force ideas on people, we wouldn't have used a DEP.  The
whole system is explicitly about building consensus, so there's no risk
that people sneak things in.  At least that's the idea AIUI, we're still
in the testing phase, so if you feel that it does happen, please point
at it and yell. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html