Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

Le Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:45:57AM +0200, Bas Wijnen a écrit :

> Yes, communication is good.  We have several media for it, the two most
> important ones being mailing lists and the BTS (IMO).  This DEP proposes
> to use the BTS for communication about NMUs.  It was that way already
> AFAIK, although some people seem to think private mail was needed as
> well.  To avoid any confusion, we should make it explicit in any case.
> If many people think private mail is needed before uploading to DELAYED,
> please speak up and we'll require that.  To me, that would pretty much
> disable all usability of DELAYED, but that may be just me...

Hi Bas, Richard, Lucas,

the DEP says:

 - must use BTS,
 - usage of DELAYED is recommended.

This means that people can opt out using DELAYED, but must post something
in the BTS. I think that the problem is not whether the communication is
public in the BTS or private, it is that "something the BTS" does not
imply communication. One can send a patch to the BTS and upload a NMU
without ever asking if it is welcome. Therefore I would much prefer that
the DEP clarifies this by writing that the use of DELAYED is mandatory
if the NMUer does not ask if the upload is welcome.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org