Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 04:08:39PM +0300, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> pe, 2008-05-30 kello 22:01 +0900, Charles Plessy kirjoitti:
> > Le Fri, May 30, 2008 at 02:50:28PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :

> > > Please come back in 2008! ;-)
> > > You speak as an "elder" that doesn't want to move forward
> > > But no, you prefer to not explain your problem...
> > > Please stop this pissing contest...

> > I have read better emails from you, Raphaël.

> > The difference between "using the BTS" and "asking the maintainer" is
> > that dropping a patch in the BTS is not asking the maintainer if the NMU
> > is welcome.

> Patch to the BTS plus a DELAYED/n upload (with a sufficiently large n)
> is, to me, a way of asking the maintainer. It is, perhaps, less smoothly
> diplomatic than e-mailing privately, but I don't really see that it is
> rude.

Patch to the BTS is not a statement that the maintainer has a deadline to
reply before the patcher screws up the package in the archive with a wrong
patch.

Sending a patch to the BTS is not sufficient - the mail to the BTS must also
clearly state the intent to NMU, so the maintainer knows the mail must be
handled with a high priority.