Re: DEP licenses

Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:

>         License
>         -------
>
>         The DEP must have a license that is DFSG free.
>
> I've just pushed that to http://bzr.debian.org/dep/dep0/trunk/ (I didn't
> think that needs any discussion; if I was wrong, it's easy enough to
> revert).
>
> I'm not sure if there's a consensus on which license to pick for all
> DEPs. Comments on that are welcome.

The problem with allowing any DFSG free license is that it may mean that
the license for DEPx may be incompatible with DEPy.  If a DEPz wants to
combine, or just re-use portions of, DEPx and DEPy, the license of DEPz
will be quite complex.

I believe it would lead to less problems to require that all DEPs are
licensed under a liberal and widely compatible license, such as the
Expat, X11 or the modified BSD license.

/Simon