Re: DEP1: Clarifying policies and workflows for Non Maintainer Uploads (NMUs)

On 26/05/2008, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         But, with the singular exception of DM's, non-DD folks
>  are _not_ in a position to control what's going on with their
>  packages.

Exactly my point, that's the kind of control that (I think) they should
be given.

>         I think that perhaps the DM's should be allowed to dcut their
>  own package NMU's, but other non DD maintainers have not yet been
>  accorded the trust and privilege of  uploading their own packages,
>  and should not thus have the right to override other people making
>  helpful changes, without that decision going through the review of
>  sponsorship.  This is just keeping things consistent, in my opinion.

No matter how helpful the changes might be, they might not be
appropriate at all because the NMUer might have overlooked something,
not be familiar enough with the whole package (and eventually its
rdepends) to decide on the appropriate action. The NMUer might have no
idea what the plans WRT the next uploads are (coordinated transitions
come to mind), and actually break things -- and yes, even by applying
helpful (or meant to be helpful) changes. And I believe any so-called
owner of a package should be allowed to play with dcut, so that the
situation gets sorted out w/o having to deal with the consequences of
whatever the breakages might be.

Mraw,
KiBi.