Re: KDEquestion

On Thursday 22 May 2008 20:33:25 Sergio Franco wrote:
> I am completely new to Linux. For long years I was a MacOS user and now I
> will move forward. From all I red Debian is the best choice. I downloaded
> the Debian/PowerPC_etch FIRST CD and I red with close attention the
> ?Debian GNU/Linux Installation Manual?. Because it is not useful to
> download all the 22 CD images I have a question (after reading section
> 6.3.5.2 of the Manual): What number CD image has the KDE install? Is the
> ?debian-40r3-powerpc-kde-CD-1.iso? a Debian GNU/Linux install disc with
> KDE as the default GUI? Can I use it as a first install CD to get KDE
> right away (if so which is the KDE version on it?)?

As you say, your best option probably is to use the powerpc-kde-CD-1 CD.
With that you will get a basic KDE system installed if you use the CD by
itself. You can then pick-and-choose additional applications after
rebooting into the installed system.

If you have a good network connection, you can also choose to use a network
mirror in addition to the CD during the installation. This will get you the
complete KDE install, but will also mean that quite a few packages will be
downloaded over your Internet connection.

Using the CD set is not really useful for Etch. You would need to install
Debian without desktop, then scan additional CDs after the reboot, and only
then install KDE (you'd need probably the first 4 or 5 CDs for a reasonable
KDE system). This option has been improved for Lenny by adding support for
scanning multiple CDs during the installation.

> Final question (curiosity), I read about a Linux application called
> ?Blender?, this application needs glibc 2.3.6., which is the glibc
> version that comes with Debian 4.0r3?

Can't help you with that question.

Cheers,
FJP