Re: Debian Lover from Thailand

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Klokk Prasy wrote:

I read the article writing about Debian is not free regarding to the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and this believable
comment is from Dr.Richard M. Stallman.

Well, you have to decide what you really want.  If you are a pragmatically
thinking person you can probably live with the Debian distribution
(aka "main") that is free according our definition of freedom that is
even more strict regarding documentation than the FSF.

If you care more about politics you will blame Debian about distributing
software that does not fully match the DFSG guidelines from the ftp
server while stating explicitely that this is not a part of official
Debian.  Our primary goal is to provide users with a free operating system
which sometimes includes some compromise that we tolerate and others don't.

It is up to you whether you can live with this or not.  The reasons
why there are more than one GNU/Linux distributions are out there is
because users tend to have different opinions about how things should
be.  If you agree with Mr. Stallman perhaps Debian is not for you.
BTW, you should verify carefully that the suggested alternative is really
what they claim to be.  Several years ago Mr. Stallman has advised people
to Debian alternatives that contained Suns JVM which at this time was
definitely non-free in a way that it even did not fit into Debian's non-free
section.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--