Re: Debian Lover from Thailand

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 04:18:10AM +0700, Klokk Prasy wrote:
> Dear Admin.,

This mailing list is to discuss issues related to the Debian project as
a whole. There are Debian developer and users on this list, not just
'admins'. All are welcome.

>    I am the one who use the Debian as main OS on my desktop. I also love
> the ways debian sets up its community and social contracts.

Great to hear that you appreciate the work of the Debian community!

> Until last week, I read the article writing about Debian is not free
> regarding to the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and this believable
> comment is from Dr.Richard M. Stallman.

RMS has had differing opinions about Debian's status with respect to it
'freeness'. 'Free' in the Free Software sense is something that does
not have one definition. Debian tackles with this issue with every
software release. If you just use Debian's 'main' repository, that is as
close to the 'ideal' of 'free' as you can get but most people have
hardware that is un-supported or partially supported by the linux kernel
and may may need 'non-free' bits. Users can choose to replace these bits if
they have the time or money.

> He also suggest the reader to  use another distro called "gNewSense".
> So that I just try it.  I don't like it, because there has not been
> the community to support my  learning and question compare to Debian.

The funny thing about this is that 'gNewSense' is an Ubuntu derivitive
and Ubuntu is a Debian derivitive. So he is suggesting something that is
based upon Debian, yet he does not recomment Debian.

>    So I write to you to please make sure to me that Debian can set up or
> be able to manipulate to get on the Free regarding to FSF.
> Please answer and make sure.

Debian will continue to strive towards the Free Software ideal
regardless of peoples criticism. The FSF, as I understand it, has not
always stated clearly what they would want us to change to meet their
definition. Debian has changed some things when it was stated in a clear
way and if those changes did not abandon our users needs.

Make sure to help others in your community to learn about the benefits of
Free Software what ever version you use! If you want to help us with
translation, graphics, sounds, or what ever, let us know!

Happy Hacking,
Kev

|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|