Re: Can our institute become Debian Certified

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 10:34 +0530, Abhimanyu Chauhan wrote:
> Hi
>
> Greetings from Jobs4Jaipur.com!!!
>
> First of we would like to introduce ourselves as a company based in
> Jaipur, India and working aggressively in the field software
> development. One of under development venture is to start a computer
> education training institute, which will be initially launched in Jaipur
> and then will be launched all over India. We would really like to get
> associated with you and want to start a certification course in
> association with you i.e. "Debian Certified Engineer".
>
> We would like to know whether is it possible and if yes what are the
> formalities to initiate the same. Looking for your positive reply and a
> very long association.

Debian has no such certification program.  Developing software to run on
Debian is much the same as developing software for any Linux/Unix
system.  The Debian-specific part is packaging, which is tested by the
New Maintainer process; however, this also requires specific
contributions to the Debian system.  You could use the NM templates
<http://alioth.debian.org/projects/nm-templates> as the starting point
for a test of packaging.  However, since these are public knowledge you
would need to take care to detect candidates who are cribbing and not
finding their own answers.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Time is nature's way of making sure that everything doesn't happen at once.