Re: infrastructure team procedures (fourth edit)

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 08:33:02PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> If you're going to make this a precondition before some power becomes
> operational, you need to more be clear about when it's met.  I think
> you might be better off removing some of the motherhood and apple pie
> from this document to make room for more `who decides'.

I had ceased working on this proposal back in November because I took
this advice seriously, pondering whether it's really better to revamp
the proposal like that. However, it's been almost six months since then,
and we've made no progress on the issue. I've now read this subthread again,
and realized that while I may agree with the first sentence above, I
really disagree with the second one.

This general resolution regarding the matter *should* be more "motherhood
and apple pie", simply because it's the initial one. You commented that one
of the points was unclear, yet you were able to deduce the right answer from
the context (technically you presented two answers, but the tone gave it
away :) even to a non-native speaker such as myself). That tells me that
we might not have a perfect wording, but we don't need it perfect, and
indeed we can probably never get it perfect in the initial resolution,
simply because the procedure is new and untested.

What we need is the right general idea, and that seems to be there, judging
by all the positive responses that I've received so far. I'm going to send
a mail to all the teams in intro/organization pointing them to the fourth
edit. If that doesn't cause too many bumps, we can hash out the remaining
wording quirks at -vote. But we need to get there, because time is passing.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.