Re: State of the project - input needed

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:35:02AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > - what are the major changes in the project and our product(s) since
> >   the etch release?

> I feel the release team tools are getting improved more and more, making
> library transitions (and testing transitions in general) smoother, and
> thus testing more and more usable.  Though I guess the release team is
> in a better position to comment on this.

> The new dpkg symbol handling will further dramatically improve testing
> mitgrations once the big libraries are using it.

The main source of difficulty with library transitions is soname changes.
dpkg symbol handling does nothing to alleviate this pain; the only things
that would make a difference are upstreams learning to develop stable ABIs,
maintainers of dependent packages not carelessly disrupting the transitions,
or a solution to the problem that soname transitions must currently be
handled as forklift copies into testing.