Re: Update #1 [RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)]

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Just use svn for that part. It's by far the most widely used VCS within
> > Debian.
>
> Based on what numbers?  Does "within Debian" mean on d.o hosts?  That
> would ignore much dVCS use.

Based on the number of repositories hosted on Alioth. And on day-to-day
work within many Debian teams.

> > And you can always create a mail interface if you really want to please
> > people who refuse to touch svn. [...]
>
> This is necessary, not just a "can always".  Not all places DEPs will
> be sent from will be able to access svn, but they should all be able
> to send email to send the DEP out AFAICS.

IMO it's typically the kind of script that gets written when one (it
might be you) feels the need for it. But I wouldn't bother writing it
right now because getting access to a svn repository is not much more
complicated than to login in a remote machine with ssh.

You don't even have to install svn on your own machine, you log into
alioth, and do the svn checkout/commit there.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog