Re: Update #1 [RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)]

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:18:47PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >   (²) And this mail it's just there as a very unbureaucratic and light
> >   mechanism for obtaining a DEP number.
> Why can't we manage the DEP list just like the rest in a VCS ? A VCS
> commit is atomic. :)

To avoid religious was on which VCS to choose :-)

> Posting a mail to get a number is not an adequate process IMO. Or are we
> supposed to post a first draft without number and get the number
> afterwards?

Can you argue about why is it not?

Considering mail times it is almost a mutual exclusion, and I'm pretty
sure unlikely conflicts can be solved by private mails among the drivers
(or by the admin of the dep project on alioth or whatever, it is not
really a problem).

Also, the point of deciding the number before starting to write the
initial proposal is not that relevant as well: does it really matter
whether you have a number in advance or not?

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/