Re: RFC: Introducing Debian Enhancement Proposals (DEPs)

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:44:00PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Until I read this paragraph I was thinking that the initial proposals should
> maybe be announced on d-d-a so that at least all DDs could be informed
> about the proposal. I'm still unsure whether that would not be a good idea
> or not.
> Even if d-project is considered a better list for these announcements, the
> announcement should at least also mention where the DEP will be discussed.

In the current proposal d-project is only used as a global mutual
exclusion tool to get the next available number in the DEP namespace, no
other announcement purpose is intended for d-project.

The underlying overall idea is that the DEP process should not change
the way in which the discussions are carried on in Debian, but just give
a tool to keep track of what is happening / has happened. So, the
announcement device to be used is the one that the driver would have
used if the DEP process did not exist at all. The less constraints added
by DEPs, the better :-)

If people find that such a bootstrap announcement is needed we can go
for it, but given that an automatic publishing system would exists for
the DEP, we can even subscribe d-d-a to a RSS feed of the DEP page or
something like that, but maybe is too early for this.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/