Re: Need of non-germany-tree in Debian?

Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Malte Hahlbeck:
>
>> Today the upper House of the German Parliament (Bundesrat)
>> decided to declare Security Software like nmap, nessus etc.
>
> nmap (and probably Nessus as well, which is non-free these days
> anyway) are unlikely to be covered by the new law.  I'm less sure
> about packages such as john.
Well the wording of the law is so vague that it needs to be seen against
whom and what kind of software it will be used. While it should have
created legal certainty it looks like it's going to be a huge mess which has
to be cleaned up by judges.

> Technically, this is nothing new.  Keep in mind that we haven't got
> permission to distribute most games in Germany, either.
This issue might come up again if some plans for a new revision of those
laws in question would be approved. And this time it could get interesting
to see if someone has the will to argue about Q3A based games.
Judging from the german description I'd bet that overkill has a good chance
too as a first source of problems and it's not Q3A based.

Sure it would be a sign of protest to move the .de.d.o servers out of
germany but I'm pretty sure that it would not help to resolve the created
mess. It's for sure that it's a risky position for mirror admins to sit and
wait who'll be the first to get sued but I think that's the most reasonable
way to go ATM.

A security researcher or network admin might even argue that the law is
against our constitution because it limits his free choice for a profession
in an over exaggerated way.

Sven