Re: Bits from the DPL

Le Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 12:08:52AM +0200, Sam Hocevar a écrit :

>    I thought ipkg was interesting because it is a full rewrite
> that addresses issues the embedded world has (such as the huge and
> functionally unnecessary /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man). Fink is
> just a port of dpkg and does not have any link with Debian AFAIK but
> its developers might be interested in both requesting/contributing new
> features and learning about the dpkg developers' future plans.

Hi all,

Another intersting thing in Fink is their way to build the pacakges:
they have sort of big control files with herescripts, and download the
upstream sources directly from upstream instead of shipping them. See
for instance:

http://ftp.belnet.be/mirrors/fink.sourceforge.net/finkinfo/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/sci/emboss.info

I think that the herescript thing could be intersting for trivial
packages (./configure && make && make install), and the direct download
could be intersting if we want to provide an official way to handle
very big packages (think about the human genome, for instance).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org