Re: Bits from the DPL

[moving to -project as I should have done with my original message]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007, Andreas Schuldei wrote:

> >    Matt Taggart proposed that dpkg developers meet in person during a
> > dpkg summit[9] to talk about future dpkg development. The meeting would
> > be sponsored at least by Debian and HP. I suggested inviting people from
> > the Fink and ipkg projects as well as other distributions, too.
>
> when planning that event with taggart we thought it best to
> let first the people we hope to attend confirm their attendence
> and then open up the event for other people.

   Of course. Given the short timeframe until the currently suggested
date, it's good that everyone is at least aware of its existence,
though.

> do you think the overlap with the other projects is significant?
> i just dont know.

   I thought ipkg was interesting because it is a full rewrite
that addresses issues the embedded world has (such as the huge and
functionally unnecessary /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man). Fink is
just a port of dpkg and does not have any link with Debian AFAIK but
its developers might be interested in both requesting/contributing new
features and learning about the dpkg developers' future plans.

Cheers,
Sam.
--
echo "creationism" | tr -d "holy godly goal"