Re: Developers vs Uploaders

Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> writes:

> My first thought: do we really need this new class of contributors? I
> mean how many people do you currently know fitting in this category
> (don't like to become DD just maintainers). I guess there will be some,
> but I think the amount of people should be high enough to legitimate
> such a big change in our infrastructure.

I am one such person who wishes to be able to upload Debian packages
for software that I maintain without becoming a DD.  The main reason
for not wanting to become a DD is an adverse reaction to the result of
Debian Vote 2006-1 -- I don't want to become a part of the group of
people who were responsible for classifying the GFDL as "non-free".

My current sponsor has recently stopped working on Debian development
(to the best of my knowledge), and this proposal would enable me to
keep my packages up-to-date.  Otherwise I would only be able to keep
the Ubuntu versions of the package up-to-date, as they have a more
lenient upload policy.  (Or find a new sponsor for packages of these
Emacs add-on software programs, which might be difficult, given how
despiriting the result of 2006-1 was for many Emacs users and
developers.)

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net