Re: Developers vs Uploaders

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 11:22:37PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > Assuming that was not just an useless sarcastic post, well, you could try to
> > come up with a technical criteria to do it, and then propose a GR about it
> > (since it is bound to be a very contentious issue).
> >
> > I wouldn't bother, though.  To me that would just waste time, waste a lot of
> > effort, and it is IMO a very poor reason to cause massive flamewars.
>
> Really?  If this "maintainer" thing goes through, I think it would set a
> horrifying double standard if we don't go ahead and start demoting
> people accordingly.
If person X is a DD and maintaining 2 packages and has never sponsored
anything, then (I dont like 'demoting' as it is an insult to their
contribution) they would not notice a change in their status if it still
allows them to contribute in the same way they did before. So a DD would
be someone who wants to contribute in more ways than a DM and thus
should have a higher standard. Both can upload but the DM would have a
set number of packages which could be increased while a DD would have
more leeway/trust.