Re: Developers vs Uploaders

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:13:23PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> The question is, is there a way we can minimize the overhead of integrating
> contributions from folks who aren't (yet) DDs?  Given what I see and hear
> from various sponsors, the review of sponsored uploads is already a joke;
> various sponsors already trust their sponsorees implicitly, so if there's
> already no real review happening, are we better off dispensing with the
> illusion?

How is that an illusion.  If the sponsor has sponsored twenty uploads
for a candidate and they have all been flawless or nearly so, then is
there actually anything wrong with the sponsor implicitly trusting the
candidate?

> The obvious con to such a system is that it means we will have uploads from
> (less experienced) maintainers who have not gone through the full NM
> process.  The possible pros are a more limber process that lets everyone
> (NMs and DDs alike) focus on accomplishing things instead of having to focus
> on the process, keeping momentum up, and so forth.  The big
> (hard-to-quantify) unknown is whether this would have a positive or negative
> effect on overall distribution quality...

I think the line is rather blurry.  If you have someone who just started
in NM and is working on his first or second package, then that
individual should not have "unsupervised" upload ability.  However, if
you have someone who has been in NM for a year, packaged 20 packages and
prepared 50 uploads, I would say that person is probably able to handle
things on his own.

Regards,

-Roberto

--