Re: linhdd concerns

Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> writes:

>   or we could disallow the override of >= E: errors in lintian, and make
> lintian reboot your computer, fill your gpg with /dev/random bits, and
> install windows over your Debian if you override such errors.

I'd love it if lintian were at a point where it would make sense to do
that, but as a lintian maintainer, I'm afraid that it's not.  Not all
errors are created equal, and some of them should legitimately be
overridable.

We've talked for quite a while about having finer-grained control over
lintian messages than the current three-tier system, in part to allow
something like this (automatic dak rejection on certain lintian errors,
for instance), but I'm way short on time.  :/

For example, to take the lintian error that started this thread, there are
some arch: all packages in the archive with architecture-specific objects
that at least on a cursory glance I couldn't declare wrong.  They're
development packages for cross-compilation and the arch-specific objects
are libraries for the target.  That seems like a legitimate case for a
lintian override to me.