Re: Debian GNU/Linux license violation

(please, leave the copy to the list - I am often very bad at keeping
up with my mail, and there will surely be other people better suited
than me for following up on your thread)

Gomi No Sensei dijo [Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 12:20:15PM -0700]:
> Dear Mr. Wolf -
>
> I understand that the GPL does not require them to distribute their
> proprietary programs that merely run on the Debian distro.  However, the
> PhotoVu product is a closed (literally -- the case is welded shut) product
> containing a modified version of Debian, with telnet and ssh turned off,
> most of the user accounts removed, other services disabled, and PhotoVu will
> not release any code whatsoever, not providing even a pointer to the Debian
> distro (or a copy of the GPL, or anything at all).  It takes considerable
> sleuthing to even determine that Debian is inside (though they admitted it
> in the email I forwarded).  My understanding was the this a license
> violation.   My "demands" for sources have gotten nowhere -- they simply say
> "no".  If they got a demand from the Debian organization, they might
> listen.   To anticipate another question, yes, I have reported it to
> gpl-violations.org.

Ok... I agree, it does seem like a real violation - But then again,
"the Debian organization" does not exist - we are just a bunch of
volunteers thrown in together. In the USA, Debian's interests are
represented by Software in the Public Interest (SPI). However, as far
as I know, SPI is not a litigating entity, and this will probably
require one. I think gpl-violations.org is the place to go -
Otherwise... Well, people, please advise :)

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23