Re: Debian GNU/Linux license violation

Gomi No Sensei dijo [Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 08:35:26AM -0700]:
> The following email is self-explanatory.  The device sold at
> www.photovu.comis based on a modified Debian, but the company will not
> disclose the source.
>
> The quote is: "We will never have an open platform as we do not have the
> resources to support such an open product in the field. It's not that we
> wouldn't like to, as we believe in open source and in fact use a customized
> base debian distribution with the addition of all our custom software on
> top. .... The last reason is why we weld our units shut and the aluminum
> metal must be cut and drilled to open it up!"

Hi,

Please explain a bit further on this: What are the product's
modifications on Debian that you require them to distribute? Thing is,
although this people's argument (i.e. "the system being open to
hackers" and all) is quite flawed, Debian is a _distribution_, it is
not -as a whole- made available on a Copyleft license.

If you spot they have modified the Linux kernel, the GNU tools, the
compiler, etc., then you can demand them sources for their
modifications - But you can freely mix Debian and completely
propietary code. And you will not be forced to disclose your
propietary sources - But modifications made to copylefted (note that
_not_ every Free Software  license is copyleft) software should be
released as well.

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23