Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> writes:
> I feel we're really missing most sorely list-admin teams who will take
> care of the social fabric of one list each and are empowered to make
> limited short-term changes to preserve it, including updating the list
> info pages and small posting bans.  We should prioritise those sorts
> of bottom-up change over a top-down soc-ctte.

I agree. Most of the problems with bad social interaction can be
solved by quick and non-intrusive private intervention from an
authoritative party. Small list-admin teams would have the following
"powers" at their disposal:

1. Contact the poster in private and tell him (or her, hate this
   English gender specific stuff) why his post was inappropriate and
   ask him to be more careful in the future.

2. If this doesn't work, warn the poster (again in private) that
   persisting in inappropriate behaviour will result in further
   action.

3. If there's still a problem, warn the poster in public.

4. If that didn't help, apply a temporary ban.

5. If there's still a problem, apply a permanent ban with notification
   to the listmasters and the DAM.

In myy experience most problems would be solved in step one, provided
the list-admins are socially adept.

Of course, this only takes care of the mailing lists. It doesn't
address cases like Sven or Ted, where it probably would have helped to
have a permanent ombudsman team.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *