Re: soc-ctte discussion at DebConf7 [was Re: Social committee proposal]

Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> wrote: [...]
> I was happy to note that there wasn't really any discussion as to whether
> there should be such a thing - the implicit consensus was that we do need
> something, it's just that we need to figure out exactly what and how.

Something is needed, but I'm surprised that there's no dissent with
the idea of the high-level soc-ctte being the next body created.

I feel we're really missing most sorely list-admin teams who will take
care of the social fabric of one list each and are empowered to make
limited short-term changes to preserve it, including updating the list
info pages and small posting bans.  We should prioritise those sorts
of bottom-up change over a top-down soc-ctte.

Existing high-level posts with a social aspect, such as listmasters
and DAM both, seem reluctant to wield their power, which is
understandable because they cannot follow every interaction in detail.
When they do act, it seems to be somewhat heavy, because things reach
that level of severity in the necessary delays.  soc-ctte will also
have the problem of being unfamiliar with the situation - how is it
going to solve many problems faster?  Will its actions also be heavy,
as the "big stick" mentioned in its powers suggests it could.

[...]
>   * The communication of soc-ctte members with people about their behaviour
>     which might eventually become a matter of committee deliberation should
>     be kept reasonably private, to prevent unnecessary escalation

What is "reasonably private"?  Please avoid creating a Star Chamber.
Also, how will we know which soc-ctte members are naughty or nice,
or whether we should remove members or terminate the ctte?

[...]
> * The establishment and composition of the actual soc-ctte:
> [...] delegation [...] voted upon [...]

Was the jury selection model discussed at all?

If it's all voting-derived, how can we assure there will be any
debian-minority views represented on soc-ctte at any time?

Disappointed,
--
MJR/slef