Re: Change of the debian code-name base?

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 05:27:42PM +0200, Torsten Trautwein wrote:
> On 5/26/07, Linas Žvirblis <0x0007@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I reread your message a couple of times, but I fail to see your
> >motivation behind this proposal. Except for your personal preference,
> >what problems do you see with current naming scheme?
> >
> >The current scheme is non-offensive, simple (one word), and somewhat
> >meaningful (for example Sid is the kid that breaks toys). If you do not
> >like the names, you can use Stable, Testing, Unstable, or version
> >numbers. For example "Stable 4.0" == "Etch".
>
> You're right: the name is not offensive and short, but it just has a
> childish "taste" which IMHO just doesn't fit to the grown-up Debian
> OS.
>
> When I think about it again, my suggestion to use The Simpsons
> characters isn't better at all - it just has a different color.
>
> I sure can live with the Toy Story names, but for me the naming has
> room for improvements. Think about press releases etc.
>
> Regards,
> Torsten
The current scheme is a matter of history and tradition, both things are
in-grained in anyone who has followed Debian developement. To change
this, you'd have to get everyone associated with Debian to abondon
that and the current release name pool has quite a few left, so you'd
have to wait for version 25.0 or some big number. Also the
idea of using names from a company that has a positive technical
association and that doesn't appear likely to sue over trademark issue
is a plus. The possibility of being sued by Fox or Mat Goering is 'not a
good thing'.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|