Re: Social Committee proposal text (diff)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:52:12 +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > (Just a note - my S2 boundary isn't really arbitrary, it's basically a
> > > function of the quorum.)
> > (Point taken but it's still a deliberate decision to say
> > count($members_of_soc_ctte)=round(Q).)
> (I was just correcting the adjective used - "arbitrary" isn't the same as
> "deliberate" :)

(Debian is a great place for learning for me ;-))

> > I guess at the end the size of the committee should:
> > * depend on its goals and tasks
> > * allow the group to work as a _group_
> >
> > (The other question is of course what happens if there are not enough
> > candidates/winners. Maybe an (equally arbitrary) minimum size for a
> > second round could be defined?)
> I've discussed in the previous thread why I thought 1000->16 or 2000->23
> were decent; but that was more in light of an upper limit, rather than a
> lower limit. Only when I started writing the exact rule into the
> constitution text did I realize that there lower limit needs to be
> thought about :)

As long as we discover this issue in time ... :-)

> If there is a serious doubt whether we would be able to elect that many
> people in less than two rounds of elections (a second round would be
> bearable; a third would be a real bother)

Agreed.

> then I would have to be leaning
> towards either:
> * Allowing a variable number of members, to a point. I was originally
>   thinking that a fixed size needs to be set in order to have a clear
>   understanding of what the membership in the ctte means; also adding
>   variability adds more nuance into the constitution definition so it's
>   harder to write.
> * Or cutting the fixed size further down, but that sounds like a workaround.

I too think the first possibility is better; and I think adding a
minimum size shouldn't make the definition too complicated.

Cheers,
gregor

 : :' :  debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/
   `-    NP: Die Tontauben: jonny