Re: Social Committee proposal text (diff)

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 11:14:40AM +0100, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > > And why shall votes become public?  What's voting about, if not done
> > > in secret?
> >         I think we should default to open and transparent processes
> >  as far as possible. And people should be willing to take public
> >  stances on matters of policy, even social policy.  It is not like you
> >  are voting for a human who might have his feeling s hurt.
>
> I read the cited paragraph as exactly that:  The votes of DDs in the
> election for the members of the social ctte will be made public.  I
> agree that the internal soc ctte votes are a different thing; but as I
> understood it, they are not the topic of that paragraph.
>
> So it is exactly about "voting for a human who might have his feelings
> hurt".  And it is all about possibly voting differently while the public
> is looking over your shoulder.
>
> I just don't see, how that will help to get a better soc ctte.

You are aware that most of our elections are done this way, we only use
hashes in the tally sheet for leader elections? I suppose we could also
obfuscate the tally sheet for soc-ctte elections, too, but I would really be
interested to see who would get offended at the votes, and particularly why
they think that they should sit on a social committee if they can't handle
social differences.

I don't think I want anyone who fears the idea of public disagreement to
sit two years in a committee that arbitrates social conflicts. How can I be
sure that the same person won't act improperly when it comes to resolving
other people's issues, if they can't handle their own issues gracefully?

Maybe it's asking too much, but I really hope we that can find sixteen
level-headed people among a thousand who can handle negative votes...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.