Re: Debian in the Federal Government

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:09:43AM +0200, Linas ??virblis wrote:

> As for the "somebody to yell at" argument, well... that sounds like a
> myth to me. Never heard of anyone contacting a software vendor when
> things break. I could be wrong on this one, though.
>
> Yes, I do work there. And this seems to be going a little off-topic...

One conversation I had with a sysadmin at a government agency went
something like this:

 me: Why do you guys use RHEL instead of CentOS or Whitebox?
 him: Well, RHEL is "approved" and since we buy licenses, there is
 someone to hold accountable.
 me: So, when your exchange server goes down in flames, do you
 immediately call Microsoft and "hold them accountable"?
 him: No.
 me: So, will you call RedHat when the webserver goes down in flames?
 him: No.
 me: I rest my case.
 him: (dumbfounded look)

It proved very exasperating.