Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 03:55:33PM +0100, Piotr Dziubinski wrote:
> Only Etch supports amd64, so I was forced to use Etch.

There is an unofficial Sarge release for amd64.  I use it on a couple of
servers and many Debian users the unofficial Sarge with no problems.

> Command I have used:
> apt-get install firefox
>
> NOT
> apt-get install iceweasel
>
> I knew exactly what I was doing, because my friend told me that there will
> be no longer firefox in debian, instead of it will be iceweasel, so I was
> curious what  will  happen  after typing:
  ^^^^^^^

Hmm.

> apt-get install firefox
>
> There is no longer firefox in debian etch, so after typing:
> apt-get install firefox
> I would like to see announcement: Firefox packages are no longer present in
> debian distribution, please try iceweasel.

OK.  Here are the announcements:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/debian-news-2006/msg00044.html

The debian-news item is from mid-October of 2006.  There was also Lots
of discussion about it on various Debian mailing lists.

> Do you see a difference?

Nope.

> I don't use aptitude, because I prefer command line.

OK.  Then 'aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade' will work just the
same.  Of course, it won't tell you *why* since you are not in the
aptitude browser, but aptitude works on the command line just like
apt-get and keeps better track of things to boot.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez