Re: Social Committee proposal

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:25:44 +0000, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.iki.fi> said:

> On pe, 2007-01-26 at 14:42 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> And yet, below, you are the first to call me names.

> Yes, I apologize for that. Sorry.

> I'm still convinced that you're doing your best to undermine any
> social change in Debian, but I should not let my emotions pour out
> like that.

        I have already signed on to the experiment, thanks to Josip. I
 _am_ trying to ensure that we do not have the nixceness police create
 a right think atmosphere people are scared of, and pointiung out the
 pitfalls and various ways which we ought to avoid straight off the
 bat.

        In a socially diverse group, it is easy  for any
 authoritative group to come out and over-regulate. And in order to be
 effective, the group needs have to have some authority, or be
 essentially irrelevant.

        Given that, I am putting up worst case scenarios as my job as
 the loyal opposition.  This does not mean we should stop trying to
 effect a social change; it means we should ensure that the solution
 we put into place can never ever veer into my worst case scenarios.

        I am trying to fill the shoes of someone helping the process
 and trying to keep us honest at the same time.

        Dismissing someone who is not all rah! rah! gimme a C! Gimme an
 H! gimme an A! gimme an N!  Gimme a G! gimme an E! as a whiner,
 luser, reactionary, standing in the way of the glorious social
 revolution, or plain old obstructionist bodes ill for the ability of
 this institution to cater to _all_ its constituents.

        Believe me, if I were opposing this, you would know about it.

        manoj
--
Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair -- It gives you something
to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.