Re: Debian Weekly News - November 28th, 2006

This one time, at band camp, MJ Ray said:
> Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
> > Bill's apparently under the impression that Debian has either a
> > legislative or an executive branch that exists and wields some
> > power, and this idea has apparently made him grumpy.  It's good for
> > all of us that this idea doesn't actually exist.
>
> In a way, it does, whether or not you agree with it: DPL+most
> delegates are the executive

This would certainly be true if the DPL had the power to veto decisions
made by developers, or issue fiats, or any other traditional hallmark of
power.  Since the DPL doesn't have any of those powers, that assertion
doesn't make any sense to me.  It has been jokingly said that the DPL
could be replaced with a mailbot that just replies "That sounds like a
good idea.  Why don't you try it?"

> DDs are the legislative

That doesn't make sense, either.  The legislature is a subset of the
population, elected to act on behalf of the population.  DDs are the
population.

> secretary+some cttes are the authority

I'm not sure what the 'authority' maps to in a traditional government,
so I'm not sure what this means either.

> but that is a view not agreed by all and I've seen it debated on-list
> since at least 2002.  Another way of viewing debian's governance is a
> democracy / guild / do-ocracy split (which I think appears in Biella
> Coleman's dissertation).

This sort of interpretation seems more reasonable to me.

> It seems unhelpful to simply deny those views, as it's usually pretty
> clear what is meant.  In the other world-view above, Bill Allombert
> seems unhappy with the guild deciding things previously done byq the
> democracy.  Has that got better or worse since Vancouver?  Did
> Vancouver mark a structural change?

Any decision by any 'guild' or 'executive' or whatever you want to call
it can be overruled by GR.  I take the fact that no GR has passed as a
sign that people are not that upset about it.

> Anyone feel like answering the point instead of abusing the viewer?

Nice touch.  Constructing a sentence that simultaneously dismisses the
person you disagree with while crying foul that they're being dismissive
is a nice rhetorical flourish.  I'm sure it was helpful.