Re: Debian Weekly News - November 28th, 2006

Baz <bazciscor@gmail.com> writes:

> I prefer to see "etch" released in a timely manner - I prefer to see the
> DWN released weekly in the same excellent degree.  An organization such
> as The Debian Project can certainly do both.  Anthony Towns et al, have
> come up with something (anything) to try and solve a major problem.  Do
> I acknowledge that money may have a corrupting influence?  Yes I do.  Do
> I believe it has corrupted the process in question?

> The question is - what can be done to reconcile the conflicting
> concerns?

The best thing that can be done to reconcile the conflicting concerns
right now, as far as I'm concerned, would be for all of us to stop telling
other people what to do.  That applies across the board: stop telling
other people how to spend their money, stop telling other people how to
structure their time, stop involving ourselves in the personal decisions
of other developers unless invited to do so, stop looking behind every
action for a whiff of conspiracy, stop psychoanalyzing each other, stop
criticizing each other for our emotions, stop reacting when other people
do.

Just stop.

Let everyone work on Debian in their own fashion, in their own way, and
take their contributions at face value and move on.  Some people will stop
working for whatever reason, including anger at what other people have
chosen to do with their money or how other people have chosen to accept
money.  Some people will increase their effort.  All of us are *very*
different, are coming from extremely different cultures and sets of
concerns, and have very different personal arrangements of work/life
balance, employment, funding, and work structure.  We need to give each
other space to be ourselves while working on Debian and not try to force
Debian Developers into any particular model.  There are too many of us for
that.

This doesn't solve all of the problems, and I'm not saying that the
concerns raised can be dismissed as simply as just letting them go, but it
would give us a cooling off period and some space to focus on the work
rather than on the politics, and I for one would really appreciate that
right now.