Re: Reforming the NM process

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [060412 21:27]:
> It's always an issue of trust. I would trust this guy to maintain the
> TeX-related packages but he doesn't have the skills to do NMU on
> everything so there's no need to give him that right.

I'd not trust any DD to NMU everything. But I trust most of them to not
touch those packages they do not understand.

> By not giving him
> that right we can lower our standards on the skills that we check and
> facilitate his contribution to Debian...

I doubt our standards can reasonably lowered. We even have package
maintainers not even able to write the language some of the programs
are written in. And I doubt we can ask for more than for a general idea
of the large picture and enough knowledge in a specific area. And the
view for the large picture is needed in every single package. And if
it is only needed to know when one does not need to ask others for help.

> The bigger we get, the more difficult it is to follow that everybody is
> behaving in accordance to our rules, and the more important it is to give only
> the rights that someone need.

I'm not opposed to finer grained permissions for package uploads. But
those should be additional checks, not less checks. The quality and the
overall coherency are already low enough. Telling people "you do not
have to look around or understand what this is all about" will not solve
any problem, as I do not believe we have a problem finding people
willing to package something to itch their scratch, but finding people
doing more than that.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
mozilla-thunderbird: It cannot read mail, it cannot send mail. It is the
victory of dialup over the internet.