Re: Reforming the NM process

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [060412 12:33]:
> I believe many people would be happy with the right to upload only some
> specific packages. I know for example a TeX expert who'd like to
> maintaine some TeX-related packages but who doesn't want to become full DD
> because he is not interested in NMU, in fixing other packages or
> anything else. He uses Debian, he is skilled enough to
> maintain a simple package that already exists and that would be otherwise
> oprhaned and dropped, and is intelligent enough to know where to ask for
> help in case they need some.
>
> He fits perfectly in the "Debian Maintainer" scheme proposed by aj.

And I think such a person perfectly fits into the "Debian Developer"
scheme. No one has to NMU anything or fix anything in other people's
packages. Perhaps I'm missing something. What is missing in your eyes
to a full developer, that a self dependent package maintainer does not
need?

> > > Indeed, but in fact, when a DD sponsors someone, he carefully checks the
> > > 2-3 first uploads and then only does a superficial review... and it's not
> > > a big deal as long as the applicant is responsive and correct bugs as they
> > > get submitted.
> >
> > In my experience later uploads seldom include major changes in the
> > packaging, so reviewing what changed is not that much work.
>
> Except when you have a new upstream version where you should download the
> upstream tarball and check that it's the same that has been submitted by
> the applicant... who does that every time ?

Huh? That is a matter of seconds.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link