Re: Reforming the NM process

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [060412 12:33]:
> > I believe many people would be happy with the right to upload only some
> > specific packages. I know for example a TeX expert who'd like to
> > maintaine some TeX-related packages but who doesn't want to become full DD
> > because he is not interested in NMU, in fixing other packages or
> > anything else. He uses Debian, he is skilled enough to
> > maintain a simple package that already exists and that would be otherwise
> > oprhaned and dropped, and is intelligent enough to know where to ask for
> > help in case they need some.
> >
> > He fits perfectly in the "Debian Maintainer" scheme proposed by aj.
>
> And I think such a person perfectly fits into the "Debian Developer"
> scheme. No one has to NMU anything or fix anything in other people's
> packages. Perhaps I'm missing something. What is missing in your eyes
> to a full developer, that a self dependent package maintainer does not
> need?

It's always an issue of trust. I would trust this guy to maintain the
TeX-related packages but he doesn't have the skills to do NMU on
everything so there's no need to give him that right. By not giving him
that right we can lower our standards on the skills that we check and
facilitate his contribution to Debian...

The bigger we get, the more difficult it is to follow that everybody is
behaving in accordance to our rules, and the more important it is to give only
the rights that someone need.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog