Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> <quote who="Don Armstrong" date="Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 12:49:08PM -0700">
> > I don't think there's any way to make that easier until we have
> > more people who fit into those positions wanting to become DDs.
>
> It's a bit more complex than that. You, for example, were active on
> -legal and in a few other non-technical ways but went through the
> package maintains NM route because you had technical abilities and
> because it seemed more straight forward and you didn't have to fight
> for your right to become a DD via non-traditional criteria. You see
> this happening a lot.

To some extent... but the main reason why I went through the process
was because I wanted to participate in the development of Debian, both
in packaging, and in the FOSS/community/legal aspects. It just
happened that testing for the packaging was the most obvious way to go
through the process, because it was the main thing that I was going to
be doing (and really, the only thing that required me being a
developer.[1])

> > The first few applicants going through the process in a new role
> > will always take a bit longer, but they'll be helping develop the
> > process too, so I'd hope that they'd be reasonably accepting of
> > that.
>
> It is clear that our current NM process is prohibitive long for many
> potential contributors (we've had good contributors give or not
> bother). How many more of our potential pool do we lose by
> stretching it out a bit longer and asking people to argue for the
> importance of their contributions from a position of no power within
> the project?

I don't really have an answer to that. I'm concerned about it,[2] but
there's only 24 hours in most days, and it's far more rewarding for me
(and I suppose other AMs) to spend the time on people who are willing
to put in the time, and are interested in working with the process and
improving it.

I think Marc has really hit the critical slowdowns of the current
process on the head, but they basically devolve back to the standard
problems that we've been fighting with forever; we're all volunteers,
and we're all very busy.

1) Not enough AMs
2) NMs who aren't ready/not obviously involved/busy
3) DAMs who are very busy
4) FD who are likewise busy
5) AMs who are busy

Don Armstrong

1: Well, there is a question of whether or not I can actually
represent the project without being a Developer, but I'd submit that
I'm no more capable of representing the project as a DD than I was as
a random person. ;-)

2: Just like most of the people who are involved in the NM process or
participating in this thread are...
--
No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free
[...] You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.