Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

<quote who="Don Armstrong" date="Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 12:49:08PM -0700">
> > AMs, the DAM and other people in the project are more hesitant to
> > grant developership to people with non-standard forms of
> > contributions. Sometimes, it's simply harder to test for these
> > because there aren't templates or even qualified AMs!
>
> Sure; it's basically a case of no one having yet figured out exactly
> how to do it.

Great. That's somewhere to start. :)

> I don't think there's any way to make that easier until we have more
> people who fit into those positions wanting to become DDs.

It's a bit more complex than that. You, for example, were active on
-legal and in a few other non-technical ways but went through the
package maintains NM route because you had technical abilities and
because it seemed more straight forward and you didn't have to fight
for your right to become a DD via non-traditional criteria. You see
this happening a lot.

> The first few applicants going through the process in a new role
> will always take a bit longer, but they'll be helping develop the
> process too, so I'd hope that they'd be reasonably accepting of
> that.

It is clear that our current NM process is prohibitive long for many
potential contributors (we've had good contributors give or not
bother). How many more of our potential pool do we lose by stretching
it out a bit longer and asking people to argue for the importance of
their contributions from a position of no power within the project?

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill