Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

> <quote who="Don Armstrong" date="Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 01:50:50PM -0700">
> > As a final note, the templates are just that, templates. An AM is
> > relatively free to tailor the process to the job that the applicant is
> > actually performing. This is a bit more time consuming for the AM, but
> > it's ideal for applicants who are involved in non-traditional roles in
> > Debian.
>
> AMs, the DAM and other people in the project are more hesitant to
> grant developership to people with non-standard forms of
> contributions. Sometimes, it's simply harder to test for these
> because there aren't templates or even qualified AMs!

Sure; it's basically a case of no one having yet figured out exactly
how to do it. I don't think there's any way to make that easier until
we have more people who fit into those positions wanting to become
DDs. Presumably some of the more senior AMs will have a better idea of
how to make sure that these people are qualified to fulfill the
position that they want to fulfill.

The first few applicants going through the process in a new role will
always take a bit longer, but they'll be helping develop the process
too, so I'd hope that they'd be reasonably accepting of that.

> Don: You were extremely active in Debian-Legal before becoming a
> developer. Were you tested or evaluated on those contributions? If
> not, why not?

Not to any great extent, no. I was doing package maintenance then (and
still am) so that's what I was tested on primarily. [I was asked to
assist with a few DFSG/FOSS understanding issues, but I didn't think
of that as part of the NM process.] Of course, since that was part of
my contribution to Debian at that point in time, my AM and later the
DAM (heh) would have looked at what I was doing there too.

Don Armstrong

--
THERE IS NO GRAVITY THE WORLD SUCKS
 -- Vietnam War Penquin Lighter