Re: More polls and social pressure

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, MJ Ray wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
> > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, MJ Ray wrote: [...]
> > > I think ignored minorities are just as entitled to [reasons] as
> > > ignored majorities. Number of believers doesn't help [...]
> >
> > That's right, but this problem wouldn't get worse because we
> > have introduced polls.  [...]
>
> If that's your belief, then I don't share it. I think some
> majorities in the project are trying their hardest for ways to
> marginalise and ignore minorities on some non-technical issues.
> Lately, each time some DD almost convinces me it isn't the
> case, I get rudely knocked back by apparently-discriminatory
> acts.  On the upside, at least it's not clear to me yet.

If you only take into account "non-technical" stuff, you may be right.
But then it's the same type of problematic as with architectures and
porters... should a minority hold back the progress of the majority ?

There are always discussions between both minorities and majorities, but
then when there's no a agreement possible, should we be stuck because the
discussion didn't led anywhere ?

BTW, the 3:1 requirement in the constitution already addresses your
concern for the most important non-technical documents (and sometimes I
wonder if it's really a good thing).

> > > Have you considered making a "lightweight SRP" that's only usable for
> > > policy statements and summaries of personal technical choices?
> >
> > What would be the difference with the polls ?
>
> Fewer secretarial roles, facilitation of non-technical GRs and
> more official status to our summaries of technical choices.

"Fewer secretarial roles" but do you think the secretary should hold
them ?

Why facilitate only "non-technical" GR ?

> I think the first two are probably good, but less sure of the last.
> I wondered what views other people have about the idea.

I wonder too, but it looks like not many people are following that thread
(and it's my fault, I shouldn't have put the controversial bit in the same
discussion thread).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog