Re: Honesty in Debian (was Re: Amendment to GR on GFDL, and the changes to the Social Contract

On 13 Feb 2006, Xavier Roche outgrape:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
>>> Fonts or documentations are not softwares, for god's sake!
>> everything that is not hardware is software
>
> So a cat is a software, or a hardware ? Do I have to provide the
> sources (the DNA full sequence) if I want to give a kitten to
> someone, following the "free" spirit ? :p

        A cat is wetware.

>> all the rest is excuses and play with words.
>
> My opinion is that my holiday pictures aren't neither hardware nor
> software.

        Your holiday pictures, when represented in binary asn encoded
 as png/gif/tiff bits are software. Harc copies printed out are, err,
 hard, and can't be manipulated by computers, and thus are hardware.

        Bits that can be manipulated, interpreted, displayed, acted
 upon by hardware are software.

        manoj
--
Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some
people. F.M. Hubbard